Commercial general liability insurance (CGL), also known as business liability insurance or general liability insurance, helps protect your business from claims.
What Is General Liability Insurance Coverage?
General liability insurance (GL) helps protect your business from claims alleging:
- Bodily injury
- Property damage resulting from your business operations
- Personal and advertising injury
Commercial general liability insurance (CGL), also known as business liability insurance or general liability insurance, provides coverage for:
- Customer injuries
- Damage to customers’ property
It can help pay for medical expenses as well as legal costs if an incident leads to a lawsuit.
When looking for commercial liability insurance, consider The Hartford. We offer some of the broadest business insurance coverage available today.
What Does Commercial General Liability Insurance Cover?
Commercial general liability insurance helps protect your business and employees from the risk of lawsuits involving:
- Bodily injury
- Property damage
Examples of these claims include:
- Bodily injury or property damage. For claims that your business caused someone bodily harm or damaged someone’s property.
- Reputational harm. For claims of malicious prosecution, libel, slander, wrongful eviction, violation of the right of privacy and more.
- Advertising injuries. For claims alleging copyright infringement in your advertisements.
- Medical payments. To help cover medical costs if someone sustains an injury at your business.
- Damage to rented property. If property you rent gets damaged by fire, lightning or explosion.
Why Do You Need General Liability Insurance?
Many business owners wonder why they need general liability insurance. The answer is simple. You need this insurance to help protect your business from the costs of liability claims. These claims can arise from common business situations including:
- You or your employees representing your client’s business
- Meeting with clients face-to-face
- Working on or with others’ property
- Using third-party locations for business activities
General liability coverage can also help protect you from advertising lawsuits. This is also an important coverage to have when you have clients who need proof of insurance before they sign a contract. Get a quote from The Hartford today.
Is Business Liability Insurance Required by Law?
Business liability insurance is not usually required by law. However, it can help protect your business and personal assets if they’re taken in a judgment against you. It can also help protect you as a tenant if you cause damage to a property you rent. Some states require coverage when applying for professional licenses. These can include a plumber’s license or an electrician license.
Let The Hartford help you with your commercial general liability insurance needs. Unlike other insurance companies, we have more than 200 years of experience helping customers find the coverage they need. We can help you make the right decisions when choosing your business liability insurance.