Whether it’s workers’ compensation, business income, property or liability insurance, we can help protect you.
We’re here to help propel you, your employees and your small businesses forward.
Types of Small Business Insurance
At its most basic level, small business insurance should help protect your company’s property, income and safeguard you against liability claims. There is not just one single type of small business insurance policy, but our business owner’s policy combines three essential coverages – business property, general liability and business income insurance – under one powerful policy.
- Business property insurance – Helps protect the physical location that your business owns or leases as well as property such as tools, equipment and inventory.
- General liability insurance – Helps protect your business from the financial costs of property damage, bodily injury, personal and advertising injury claims made against your business.
- Business income insurance – Helps replace lost income when you are unable to conduct business due to a covered loss like a theft or fire.
Extending Your Small Business Insurance
As your small business grows, you may need more insurance. The Hartford offers a wide selection of business coverages to address the specific needs of different companies, so select your coverage and get your small business insurance quote. Many small businesses also choose:
- Workers’ compensation insurance – If you have employees, most states require workers’ comp. This coverage provides benefits to employees for work-related injuries and illnesses.
- Commercial auto insurance – If you or your employees use a vehicle for work, consider adding commercial auto to your insurance policy. This coverage helps cover costs arising from a covered work-related auto accident.
Does my business need small business insurance?
You may benefit from small business insurance if you are unable or unwilling to pay for costly claims against your company from your own business or personal financial resources. Small business insurance can include a broad range of coverages designed to help protect business assets in the event damage claims are made against your company. At a minimum, most small businesses have the basic coverages including General Liability Insurance, Business Property Insurance, and if they have employees – Workers’ Compensations Insurance. Without small business insurance, a business owner may have to pay the potentially devastating costs of a damage claim against their company from their own pocket.
How much does small business insurance cost?
What types of business insurance does my business need?
Most small businesses need General Liability and Property Insurance at the very least. If you have employees, you’ll probably need Workers’ Compensation Insurance as well; most states require it. Commercial Auto is important if you or your employees drive for your business.
What does liability insurance cover?
Liability insurance for small businesses helps cover the costs you may incur from claims of bodily injury and property damage to others that are made against your business. This type of insurance typically covers costs related to claims of property damage and bodily injury that may be caused by products, damage due to operations, personal injury, libel, slander, and advertising errors.